Decontamination with hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide fumigation by CARLO ERBA Reagents Germany
Fumigation with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is used to decontaminate clean rooms, laboratories, safety cabinets and isolators, and represents a fast and affordable alternative to decontamination with formaldehyde. Laboratory testing has shown the H2O2 method to be effective when compared with the formaldehyde method. In addition, hydrogen peroxide carries fewer health risks than formaldehyde.
Key benefits at a glance:
- Much lower health risks than formaldehyde
- Safe and effective
- Fast and affordable
- Residue-free method with no need for further cleaning
- Validated process
- Method reviewed and certified by the German public health institute RKI
- Compliant with the FDA’s 21 CFR Part 11
CARLO ERBA Reagents is a certified provider of H2O2 decontamination
CARLO ERBA Reagents Germany is a competent and reliable provider of decontamination for safety cabinets and isolators using H2O2. This service is carried out by specially trained service engineers with TÜV and FASTER certification. It can be booked directly with us.
Highlights of the decontamination
- Duration of decontamination: 1-2 hours
- Validated and certified procedure
- Up to 500 m³ room volume decontaminable
- Proven germ reduction (6 log reduction)
- Negative pressure system prevents unintentional leakage of hydrogen peroxide
- Permanent concentration measurement in the safety cabinet, in the isolator and in the ambient room by means of Dräger Polytron
- Odor nuisance and health risks are avoided
- Occupational exposure limits are met
- Decomposition of the H2O2 into oxygen and water via a catalyst after completion of the decontamination process
- Safe execution by TÜV and FASTER certified service technicians
- 15 years of experience with H2O2 decontamination in the pharmaceutical industry
Rapid and clean: decontamination with the FASTER NHP System
Hydrogen peroxide is a largely stable compound of hydrogen and oxygen, found in liquid form. It has strong oxidising properties and makes an excellent decontamination and sterilisation agent thanks to its broad range of effects. Our method involves vaporising a hydrogen peroxide solution and blasting this into the area which is to be cleaned. It only takes around one to two hours to completely decontaminate a safety cabinet with this method, which is statistically proven to reduce the number of germs by 1,000,000 times (6 log reduction).
We are using the most high-performance generator available on the market — the FASTER NHP generator, a mobile unit produced by the world’s largest manufacturer of microbiological safety cabinets and isolators.
The generator is highly mobile and can be quickly connected to the safety cabinet or isolator, which will then be decontaminated using H2O2 in a closed-loop system. All surfaces of the work area, as well as areas such as the return air duct, ventilators and filter, are coated evenly with vaporised H2O2. The quantity of hydrogen peroxide used is calculated based on the size of each individual machine. The fumigation cycle is checked using chemical and biological indicators (CI and BI). With the FASTER NHP system, even rooms up to 500 m³ can be easily decontaminated.
A slight negative pressure is maintained during the process to guarantee that no H2O2 can escape. In addition, the surrounding area is monitored by a Dräger Polytron measuring instrument. Once decontamination is complete, a catalytic converter breaks the H2O2 down into the harmless substances of oxygen and water, which are then carried off via a special HEPA H14 filter.